To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[New method required] GC5N7YQ ett läns ytterpunkter

[New method required] GC5N7YQ ett läns ytterpunkter
October 31, 2023 08:45AM
Not my challenge, but in my opinion it can use a checker.

It requires to have found the nothernmost, easternmost, southernmost and westernmost cache in 1 of the 21 Swedish regions.
Re: GC5N7YQ ett läns ytterpunkter
October 31, 2023 09:22PM
I might be missing something here, but I think this one isn't possible to make a script for and would require a new method. Which in turn is unlikely to happen due to a grandfathered cache that can't be published today.

(The easy way to track progress is with https://project-gc.com/Tools/MapNESW)
November 01, 2023 01:46AM
I think this is actually possible - with a few assumptions. First, you would need the "approximate" NSEW locations inside each region.... and then you can call GetFavorites, w/FP=0, and radius=each location with a huge distance. that will give you the 1000 closest caches to each of those locations - and then just run through the finds to see if they were found.

Of course, if it's a region is a concave area, and there are a few local maxima, you might hit the case where the coordinates you give are in the extremity, but don't have the extreme cache - because it exists in some other local maxima. I don't know the geography of Sweden well enough to know if this is the case, but probably could be tweaked.

I've used this method in another checker which had similar requirements, and it works, it's just mega slow. But 21*4 queries should complete within 60 seconds. But of course, as you said, it's easy for a user to just do it manually, and this is definitely going to require a new script.
November 01, 2023 09:14AM
@bmuzzin I think you'd probably run in to the issues you're describing with the concave areas and multiple local maxima for Sweden so I wouldn't trust a script that has hardcoded the local maxima. There are a few regions with a smaller cache population and archival of a NESW-cache could move the NESW-point it to the other side of the region due to lack of other caches in the maxima-area.
November 01, 2023 10:21AM
Without any knowledge of the programming side, but I understand the reasoning of bmuzzin (lets say, the mathematics). Maybe I say something stupid when looking at the programming side, but if the checker would calculate the nearest like 10 to the far away reference point and then compares the coordinates to take the one that is northernmost (or any other direction-most). Would that solve the issue?
November 01, 2023 03:10PM
@Noach! yes, that is what I was suggesting... but I think Pleu is correct, in that, it would require constant attention and would give the incorrect answer for newly published/archived extremity caches in the meantime. Presumably, you'd put the query coordinates at/near the extreme NSEW caches of each region, but, if a new NSEW extreme cache gets published 500km away (or the current gets archived), it's unlikely that the query would pick that up, until the tag was updated to change the coordinates to that new point. I'm not sure anybody's interested in updating a tag that has 84 coordinates... so, unless the new NSEW query comes along (unlikely, since it's not allowed for challenges anymore), not sure it's going to happen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login