To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Awaiting feedback] GCANF5V five continents

[Awaiting feedback] GCANF5V five continents
March 26, 2024 09:09PM
I know there has been a lot of controversy on this topic, but if I'm not mistaken it is considered that there are the following continents:

Europe, Africa, Asia, North America, Central America, South America, Oceania and Antarctica?

If this is really the case I need a checker to have found at least one geocache on at least 5 continents.

Thank you so much
Re: GCANF5V five continents
March 27, 2024 01:35AM
I (think I) have the most up-to-date continent script. However... it only has the 7 "generally agreed upon" continents. PGC split Central America into another 8th continent, because I think it's easier to read on the maps page? (Or other reason?).

We can make any sort of continent checker you like, but if it differs from the standard 7 continent model (where Turkey, Russia, Cyprus and Egypt are configurable between Europe/Asia/Africa), then you'll need to give us explicitly which countries are in your continent definitions. Generally, reviewers require this as well, since "continents" aren't a standardized "thing".
March 27, 2024 06:50AM
OK. Could you provide me with the 7 continents standardized model please?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2024 06:51AM by roquetex. (view changes)
March 27, 2024 03:44PM
I have verified that PGC distributes the continents as follows:

Europe, 55 countries
Asia, 53 countries
South America, 15 countries
Africa, 59 countries
North America, 5 countries
Central America, 35 countries
Oceania, 28 countries

If this is the accepted standard model, the request for the checker is:

FOUND AT LEAST 1 GEOCACHE IN AT LEAST 5 CONTINENTS.

Thanks!!!
March 27, 2024 04:32PM
No, those aren't the 7 generally accepted continents - you're missing Antarctica, and Central America is only a continent in PGC, but nowhere else I've ever seen. Those Central American countries are usually counted as being in North America. If there was some standardization wrt to continents, that would make everybody's job easier, but there isn't.

As far as I know, there is no script that uses PGC's continent definitions to determine which country is in which continent. This is because (I think) that COs usually wanted/needed more control over which countries are in which continents. As I said, in the generally accepted 7 continent model, there are several countries that are "questionably" in one continent or another (or both). Also as I said, reviewers generally require you to explicitly list which countries are in which continents anyhow.
April 23, 2024 01:11PM
Here is a checker based on the PGC classification
https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCANF5V/87614

Please test and reply
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login