This tool is a user-enabled script that extends the user experience at the Geocaching.com website, primarily by integrating Project-GC into it. The audience for this script are primarily geocaching power-users, however some of the basic features can make the novice or beginner experience better as well.
This script was originally written by Jonas "lillfiluren" Högström; and has been maintained and improved upon by various other geocaching community members].
There are TWO different things you must install:
- A userscript manager web browser extension.
- The script (userscript) itself.
Web browser extension installation
Depending on the web browser that you use, follow the directions below to install the extension. Then proceed to the next section
These directions are for Firefox v104.* and might vary with older or newer versions.
- From the "Tools" menu, choose "Add-ons and Themes".
- On the left, locate "Extensions" and click it.
- At the top of the window, look for "Find more add-ons" with a search-box next to it. Type in "greasemonkey" (one word) into the box and press return.
- A list of extensions will show up, choose the extension you wish to use (Greasemonkey, Tampermonkey, or Firemonkey)
- On the page describing the extension, looked for a blue "Add to Firefox" button. Click it.
- A pop-up will appear to re-iterate what the extension will do, click "Add".
At anytime, if you wish to change which extension you are using or want to remove the extension, repeat the steps above, and click the "Remove" button that will appear in place of the "Add" button.
These directions are for Google Chrome v104.* and might vary with older or newer versions.
- Open (launch) Google Chrome.
- Visit the following website: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tampermonkey/dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo
- Click the blue "Add to Chrome" button.
- A page describing the extension after it is installed will appear, it is safe to close this tab/window.
At anytime, if you wish to change which extension you are using or want to remove the extension, repeat the steps above, and click the "Remove from Chrome" button that will appear in place of the "Add" button.
Other web browsers
Firefox and Chrome are recommended, however depending on the web browser, there may be a Userscript manager available for it. Tampermonkey is the only extension (as of 8/2022) that lists various other browsers that it supports.
- Visit the Greasy Fork website.
- Find and click on the green "Install this script" button.
- A new window will appear, giving more information about the script. It is encourage to always read what the script will do before installing.
- Find the "Install" button and click it.
Once the script is installed, you can view the script source code or enable/disable the script. Once a script is installed, most userscript managers will keep it up-to-date automatically as part of the default settings. Refer to additional pages regarding the various Userscript managers on their usage.
The UserScript supports translations and is translated in the same way as the rest of Project-GC, via Crowdin. Please note that the translations aren't done in real-time. Once translated at Crowdin they need to be manually fetched into Project-GC and pushed via a new release.
Also the UserScript fetches the translations from Project-GC. It has built-in caching so that it doesn't ask for translations upon every single page load, therefore further delay of new translations will exist.
The UserScript is open source and the source code is available on Github. Please visit the Development Section for more information.
Open Source Used (Citations)
Please read LICENSE within Repository.