To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Resolved] GCAHBR9: Government Challenge (president)

[Resolved] GCAHBR9: Government Challenge (president)
December 14, 2023 10:51PM
Hello,

I am working on a series of Challenges based on the US Goverment system... similar in version to the
https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6W3GQ_electoral-college-challenge
which has checker: https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC6W3GQ/23192
but with some different requirements (hence can't just clone this checker)

This version's challenge is to become "President" and is very similar to the Electoral College challenge above, but with the main diference being the requirement below of at least 35 finds in a single US state.

1. Required: at least 35 finds (found it, attended, webcam photo taken) in one US state, District of Columbia or US territory (e.g. Puerto Rico). This represents qualifying for the required minimum age to be POTUS (and "citizenship/residency"). Any state counts, not based on any sort of actual home location calculation.

2. Collect the "Electoral Votes" in each state by logging a find (found it, attended, webcam photo taken) in each state. There are 538 total votes and to qualify you need to reach a majority of that number, so a minimum total of 270 "votes" to qualify.

That's 435 votes for the House of Reps, 100 for Senators, and 3 for Washington DC.

NOTE: In 48 states and Washington, D.C., the winner gets all the electoral votes for that state. Maine and Nebraska assign their electors using a proportional system.

So for Maine and Nebraska, for this challenge, each find counts as a 1 "vote" up to the maximum in each state. For all other States and DC, one find in the state will qualify the finder for the full amount of electoral votes.

As part of publishing this challenge is to help people understand how the politcal system works and have a detailed description of the voting system and requirements, I would like to keep this little feature as part of the qualifiers... but if this will make it a nightmare for scriptwriters and checker editing, then I am open to dropping it... and just explaining the nuances in the descriptions instead.

So total available electoral votes are the same as in the checker above:
Electoral votes by state (For each state, 1 find/attend/webcam photo results in winning the entire amount of available electoral votes as shown below, EXCEPT for Maine and Nebraska)

Alabama 9
Alaska 3
Arizona 11
Arkansas 6
California 54
Colorado 10
Connecticut 7
Delaware 3
District of Columbia* 3
Florida 30
Georgia 16
Hawaii 4
Idaho 4
Illinois 19
Indiana 11
Iowa 6
Kansas 6
Kentucky 8
Louisiana 8
Maine 4 (For Maine Each find counts as 1 vote, up to a max of 4)
Maryland 10
Massachusetts 11
Michigan 15
Minnesota 10
Mississippi 6
Missouri 10
Montana 4
Nebraska 5 (For Nebraska, Each find counts as 1 vote, up to a max of 5)
Nevada 6
New Hampshire 4
New Jersey 14
New Mexico 5
New York 28
North Carolina 16
North Dakota 3
Ohio 17
Oklahoma 7
Oregon 8
Pennsylvania 19
Rhode Island 4
South Carolina 9
South Dakota 3
Tennessee 11
Texas 40
Utah 6
Vermont 3
Virginia 13
Washington 12
West Virginia 4
Wisconsin 10
Wyoming 3

So I qualify with 35 cache finds in California and a total of 476 votes of the possible 538 votes. I have finds in 43 states, missing only votes from (Alaska, North Dakota, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, and Vermont, and no finds in DC).
Re: GCAHBR9: Government Challenge (president)
December 15, 2023 07:08PM
Here is the link https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCAHBR9/83854

Please test and reply
Re: GCAHBR9: Government Challenge (president)
December 15, 2023 08:06PM
THis checker also appears to be functions correclt as intended. Thanks!

m2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login